Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Elroma

This blog is going to be my traveling journal while I'm on my trip to Rome.

My name is Ilja Kocken, I'm 19 years old and in a couple of days (around march 1st 2009) I will be leaving on my adventure trip to Rome. I am making this trip because I chose to live an adventurous life, and because not knowing where you're going to sleep the next night really appeals to me. Basically the adventure of the unknown. I always knew I wanted to travel after high school, and after my physics teacher told me about his trip to Santiago de Compostella I was hooked. Santiago seemed kind of unoriginal to me though.

I'm going to walk from here (somewhere in the middle of nowhere between Zwolle and Deventer in The Netherlands) to Rome in about 4 months. I'll be walking 6 days a week, 25 km a day. The different routes I found differ between 1600 km total, and 2500 km. I'm not entirely sure which route I'll take.

By now I've already completed collecting all the necessary gear. I've been working for the last 7 months or so to earn the money for that purpose.

This blog will be held here so that friends, relatives and people I meet on my trip can stay in touch and learn about my progress.

Oh, and there'll be lots of pictures :).

By the way: Elroma stands for Elshof > Roma (Elshof being my home town).

6 comments:

Roosje said...

whoohoooo mijn kleine broertje aan de wandel!!! superstoer hoor, hou ons op de hoogte om onze saaie voorspelbare leventjes in nl leuk te houden! tot zaterdag op je afscheids feestje, dikke knuffel van je zussel

jolanda said...

Lieve Ilja,
Bijzonder je zo te zien weglopen met je volle bepakking...Je liep zo stoer en stevig. Heb de grap en verleiding van Jonne kunnen weerstaan om je even achterna te rijden(met een boterhammetje, kopje chocola... :))
Had nog wel mijn leeuwtje aan je tas willen binden of mijn aapje als wegbereiders, maar dat was toch niet echt jouw wens.
Je bent nu helemaal aan het doen wat je wilt en dat is zo goed! Ik wens je toe dat je blijft vertrouwen op je intuïtie, en dat die je overal veilig doorheen loodst. Maar ook dat je goede raad durft aan te nemen als die de toets van je gevoel doorstaat.
Dus hier gelijk de eerste: zorg dat je gezien wordt!(je valt nogal weg tegen de achtergrond)
Goede reis,
Moems

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Lief neefie!
Heel veel geluk, plezier en avontuur gewenst voor je grote reis. Ik hou je in de gaten hier op internet en kijk uit naar de eerste foto's. Geniet geniet geniet! Liefs, grote nicht

Anonymous said...

Ha die paling lekker onderweg?
Ben benieuwd wat je allemaal mee gaat maken succes!
Groetjes,

Jeroen.

Anonymous said...

Hallo Ilja

Hier een berichtje uit deurningen, je 4e overnachtingsadres.
Zoals we in je verhaal lezen gaat je reis voorspoedig,we vonden het leuk dat je hier hebt geslapen, we zijn beiden een ervaring rijker.Rodin heeft het ook erg leuk gevonden.
We wensen je alle goeds toe tijdens je reis en blijven je via je blog volgen.

groet,Bennie, jolanda, Jaimy, Rodin en Elody