Thursday, May 7, 2009

Parla Inglese?

Day 43
After waking up and walking to the local supermarket together for breakfast, I set out again. (I keep doing that ;)). I walked to Dreiweissenstein where I looked up the local DJH (German Youth Hostel). I met some nice people along the way, and the weather was ok with a cool rain now and then. It's still t-shirt + shorts weather though. I found out that I had 3 roommates, with whom I drank a few beers outside and had some fun. I did lay awake for a while though, because one of them snored like a walrus. There where 2 guys there for work, one as a student and a woman (on another room) was there on a walking trip. (she had already walked to Santiago etc. but was quite extraordinary ;)).
Oh, and I am kind of into 'hohes c' haha.

Day 44
Breakfast with the walking woman (she was walking the 'mittel weg' through the blackwood forest (Schwarzwald, I am currently on the Westweg). I sneaked along a sandwich for on the road and set out. I kept running into a guy with a red backpack who was also on the Westweg, but preferred to walk alone so that he wouldn't miss anything. Then I met a real Santiago de Compostella pilgrim, with whom I walked the last 5 km's to Dobel. There our ways parted and I went looking for a cheap room. (I really didn't feel like asking anyone hehe). I wanted to walk further, but there weren't any villages... So I watched TV all night and then went to bed.

Day 45
After a good breakfast I took care of my shoes and then set out through fresh weather along high mountains and great views to Forbach. There I bought food and went in the direction of the church where I rang on the priests door. He first said sure, and went to get a key, then when he returned I told him I didn't go to Rome to visit the Pope he went back and got another key haha. I was allowed to sleep in some kind of office with water and a good floor to sleep in my sleeping bag.

Day 46
After a long night (I still have to get used to sleeping on just a small mat) I set out again. The priest offered me a ride to the next town, which I denied politely. I set out through horrible rain. Somewhere along the way I met two elderly men who where also on the Westweg, and after running into them 2 times we walked together. There where beautiful very steep stone roads, (haha, in comparison to what I've seen now this was NOT very steep ;P) and we walked through the mist on places with snow and mud. I walked further than the two men, because they had already reserved a hotel. So I walked to the Mummelsee where there where absolutely no sleeping possibilities, so I asked a family if they knew anything. They told me I could come with them to their holiday farm in Seebach (where they where staying as well) and see if I could sleep in the straw or something. So I went with them and it was possible and cheaper than regular rooms. The woman then said I could also sleep inside in the sauna if I wanted to, so that the horses wouldn't keep me awake. I had dinner with the family who had invited me, and it was great fun. Their kids even gave us a (pretty loud) show. The man also said he'd pay for me since he had invited me there.

Day 47
After breakfast the woman who owned the tourist farm offered to bring me back to the forest so that I wouldn't have to walk along the asphalt so long. (around 2 km). In the rain and mist I walked quite far, and after a while got really really cold. And there weren't any resting huts or anything. Because of the long walking without breaks my leg really started to hurt because somehow my rucksack had been pinching something off. Then finally I found a small hut, where I could eat stuff, rest, and put my sweater on. After that I felt much better and walked on to Kniebis. First I tried the DJH, which was closed, then I tried some hotel, which was closed, then the Nature Friend house, which was closed and then I rang on someone's door. The old couple didn't really like the idea of a stranger in the house, but after a while of waiting they accepted. I could sleep on the floor in the living room. (They where in doubt, because I might disturb the cat who usually sleeps there). But it was great because later that night I had some conversations with the woman and I even got a nice meal.

Day 48
After the cold day yesterday I set out with all my warm clothes on, and rain suit etc. Then after walking for a couple of hours I met the 2 walkers of day 47 again! They had taken a bus yesterday because the weather was so bad. We walked together most of the way and talked about lots of stuff. The weather was nice, sunny and warm so my precautions where unnecessary. Again they had reserved a hotel room on a shorter etappe than I had, so the last 10 km or so where for me alone. I walked to a little 'Schwarzwald Verein' hut, where I rested and then asked the people who where there if they knew any good places to stay. I was invited to come with them to Wolfach (just as far as the original goal Hausach, but a different direction). The barber and his wife welcomed me like royalty, and it was great. That evening they had invited an elderly Dutch couple so I was even able to speak Dutch again.

Day 49
I was awoken early this morning, and after a good breakfast I was brought to Hausach by car, because that was my original goal, and it prevented me from having to walk along a big road for too long. The man had advised me to look up a Natur Freunde Haus on the Brend (mountain), which I did. Walking through snowy forests with great weather is a good experience :). There was also a French family, but I didn't really talk to them. I called mom and dad and waxed my shoes and then went to bed.

Day 50
Good breakfast, time to go. After a while I crossed the Mittelweg, and decided to follow that from here on out, so that I would cut off quite a bit of unnecessary mountain climbing. I had some nice short conversations along the way, and walked on to Titissee/Neustadt where I looked up the DJH. The woman who owned the place was really unfriendly to other guests (young ones) and her new collegue, and what bothered me most was that I didn't say something about it.

Day 51
This morning I met an interesting man of around 60 who was alone on the road with his motorcycle touring on some kind of repentance trip or something. An inspiring man with interesting stories.
On the road I tried to define the hypnotic feeling you get when walking with my almost always running Inner Dialog. I'll probably try to describe it later on, when I have time or am at home or something. I even philosophized about stuff I learned in the Landmark Forum (about which I'll have to have a discussion with Joy or his mom or somebody later, help remind me please ;)). The first 5 km or so where kind of okay, then came a really beautiful area along the Wutach Schlucht and then some more boring field roads. Then at the Schattenmühle I found a pretty cheap room, but didn't have enough cash money for it. I hitchhiked to the next town to a cash machine, and was even brought all the way back by the couple who where touring in their holidays.

Day 52
I set out pretty early today because I wanted to walk far. The most beautiful part of the Wutach Schlucht (wutach= river name, Schlucht= gorge) was today, and I walked mostly on 50 cm broad roads with steep edges and great canyons. In Blumberg I shopped for some food and then walked on to Randen where I slept (afer asking of course) in a shed with 2 mattresses.

Day 53
After sleeping for quite long (eleven hours or so?) I got some tea and set out at around 8:45. A nice walking road awaited me, with some great views and the little hill feeling that reminds one of the Teletubbies. I met 2 other walking ladies who where on a one-week tour, and after admiring a squirrel we walked together to the next village Engen, where they invited me for a soup. (which wasn't available anymore haha). I walked on to Weiterdingen after meeting some more people on the road (a couple gave me 20 euros because they wanted to support me :O) and after ringing a couple of doors, I was asked to show my ID-card and then was hospitably invited in. We watched a movie on TV and I went to bed pretty late.

Day 54
Nice weather and great views at the alps and the Bodensee (Do I have to mention breakfast and setting out every time?) where a nice start of the day. I paused in a Naturfreunde Haus where the kind people offered me a soup (which I refused because I was stuffed haha). My leg often hurts because of the rucksack, and compensating by loosening the waist band increased the strain on my shoulders. I ended up with a nice family (I believe it was in Stahringen) where I played table tennis with the boy (around my age) and later The Settlers of Catan.

Day 55
This morning I accidentally woke up too early, but it didn't really matter. We looked on the city plan of Konstanz if there where any DJH there, and then I set out again. Some pretty boring forests, then the fairly impressive Maria Schlucht and then the not extremely beautifull city of Konstanz/Kreuzlingen characterized this day. I slept in the Youth Hostel in Switzerland (Kreuzlingen) and looked up an internet cafe. (check second-last update). I also called my best friend Joy to see if he was still alive and kicking :).

Day 56
I looked up a different internet cafe because I didn't finish everything (obviously) but it was still closed. I then set out on my first day in Switzerland. The environment was reasonably beautiful, and the weather was super. I asked around, and was directed to a Pilgrim House in Tobel, where I went. There I met Benedikt, a Benedictine monk and above all, very good person. We had very interesting conversations ranging from interpretations of church to smoking or eating meat. One of the first things he said to me was that I was a monk, because a trip like mine is exactly monk-like. (I don't expect to go into a monastery, but I don't think that was what he meant). He invited me to stay longer so I could rest, and for the first time on this trip I accepted. Benedikt also gave me the newest Swiss Army knife, for which I am very thankfull :). (knives are things that need to be given in stead of bought, just like my parents gave me my original knife). I was also able to update this site (last update).

Day 57
Yesterday knight at 12:00 I congratulated my brother with his 21st birthday! Too bad I couldn't be there. I slept until pretty late, and had brunch with Benedikt and a friend of his, Maria. Throughout the entire day we had interesting conversations and I worked on this blog quite a bit as well. Then we made a short photo shoot, and a lady from the local newspaper was called for a telephone interview. Obviously the woman interpreted some of my answers quite differently than intended, but the article is fun to read.


Day 58
After tea and breakfast and a warm-hearted goodbye I set out along the Jacobs road (shortcut). The road was nice, the weather not so much, but when the weather is bad there is more time to think somehow. I walked to Fischental, where I rang on quite some doors but people where either not at home, or had to leave just that evening or something. Near the church I knocked the local priests door and was invited warmly by his wife. A nice interesting family, and later that night a super fast-talking man came and told us about some kind of play by Goethe or something similar.

Day 59
A long road awaited me the next morning, with loads of asphalt and some great views. I walked on through Rapperswil to Pfäffikon, where I went to a 'schlaf i'm stro!' thingie which was quite good. I met a 73-year-old man who was currently walking a part of the Jacobsweg, because the snow conditions in the mountains weren't optimal so he couldn't go Alpine. (for real).

Day 60
After sleeping very well, I had a great breakfast together with the man, and then we set out together. He taught me all kinds of techniques for walking in the mountains and it was fun. The weather was nice and after arriving in the town of Einsiedeln we drank something together and then went to the local sports shop, to inform about renting ski's or something to pass the Gothart pass. The man also re-informed me about how to wear my backpack, so from then on I rarely had the pain in my leg, and it feels much better.
I then went to the ENORMOUS monastery because Benedikt knew some monks there and said if I said he sent me, they'd probably give me a place to stay. Unfortunately the monk who I was supposed to ask wasn't there, but I still got a place for 20 CHF (What no Euros in Switzerland!? haha). That evening I met Alexander, and interesting Priest assistant something who had a refreshing view on some matters that I thought all Catholics believed. (for instance: he said in the bible there are more occasions where people 'lay together in the woods', meaning they had sex. And some man even said to another man: I've loved you like I will never love any woman' etc.)
I was invited to come see the great library of Einsiedeln the next morning before I would set out again.

Day 61
After breakfast and packing, I did visit the amazing library, and photographed the Maria statue outside for my mother. Oh, and at breakfast I met a young monk, with whom I talked a bit, and he told me students shouldn't have to pay, and he gave me 50 CHF! And I also wrote a short note to the monk who I was supposed to ask with the greetings from Benedikt.
Then I set out in the rain, and met a couple who where walking the same road so we walked together. We walked to Brunnen through a terrible rainstorm, and there our ways parted and I looked up another 'Schlaf i'm Stro'.

Day 62
After a good night's sleep I got a great breakfast (these sleep in the stray things are great!). I then set out on the 'Weg der Schweiz' which was absolutely amazing. Great views on the alps and a beautiful lake. I met a girl of around my age and her aunt who where also walking the way of Switzerland, and after bumping into them 3 times we walked together the rest of the way. It was great to be able to talk to someone my age, who actually likes walking haha. I hope I didn't ruin their aunt-niece day though...
I called Benedikt because he said he might know someone in this area, and yes! He directed me to Attinghausen, to an elderly nice and interesting couple. I was able to wash my clothes again, hence the picture with me in chique clothes. (which I will upload later).

Day 63
After waking up early and having a nice breakfast, I set out in the direction of Göschenen (which is far away). I was advised not to go over the Gothart pass on foot, because it is just way too dangerous, and that I should instead take the train. I walked quite far, along steep ways with bridges where you could see through the floor, and I even had to walk other ways sometimes because of avalanches. I had received an address of a friend of Hans (yesterday), but he had to work until 7, and leave early the next morning. I decided not to walk that far, and came across a cheap Backpacker hostel in Wassen, which was owned by 25ish year old twins. And I ate chocolate cake as dinner.

Day 64
After a chocolate cake breakfast (hihi) I set out to Göschenen, and had to take the train to Airolo through/underneath the Gothart pass. I realized how boring traveling like this is :). In Airolo I looked up the tourist information, and then set out along the Strada Alta while adjusting to the fact that from now on I'd have to say bon jorno in stead of Gruet Sie.
I walked along beautiful road to Osco, where I looked up one of those mass mattress thingies. I prepared a soup, ate great pasta in the restaurant (luckily the guy spoke German) and then called home.

Day 65
The strada alta really is a beatiful road, the only downside is that you continuously hear the cars of the highway. I sometimes had to wade through waterfall/rivers because they had removed the bridges to prevent avalanche damage. I hadn't brought enough lunch, and all the little villages I came through seemed extinct so after a while I felt really weak and queasy while walking along cliffs with the risk of falling down 100 meters. But I kept going, and after a while my trance state was invoked and I kept on marching to Pollegio. There I tried to ask if people knew a supermarket, and my great Italian caused me to be invited in a car, and being brought to a supermarket. Then the man kept on driving and driving and driving, in the direction of a camping in Claro, which was 12 kms to far :S. So I seriously accidentally hitchhiked 12 kms. But it was nice, and I thanked the man in my best Italian, and then slept in my tent and could rest my poor body in the pool.

Day 66 (today)
I woke up this morning and was very happy to see that my tent was not wet. I ate breakfast, packed everything and was quite relaxed because late last night I received an SMS from Benedikt, with a sleepover address in Bellinzona. I walked the remaining 10 km along a nice river in the sun, and then looked up a library/internet cafe. I will meet Bernard at the railway station at 7 O'clock, so I still have some time to see the city (which is definately worth seeing, so far I've already seen great castles and painted houses etc.)
So that's it! I'm finally finished with this! (ok, not finished, but up to date). I think that from now on I won't upload all of my pictures anymore, but just some, and that when I'm at home I'll edit all of the initial pictures to make it look a little more professional.

Thanks for reading!

Love,

Ilja

4 comments:

Roosje said...

Joo Broertjelief! Wat een verhalen, zoo gaaf om te lezen. En je wordt beroemd met je interview! hihi.
Ben blij dat je wat mensen hebt die voor je zorgen en dingen voor je regelen (als regelzus is dat prettig om te lezen ;) ).
Hier is alles goed, heb met longboarden mn enkel kapot gemaakt dus zit nu in de tape en lopen gaat niet zo goed, maar ga wel lekker een weekendje weg naar de skatebaan in oldenzaal (al is eerder geweest, weet je de filmpjes nog?!) maar weet niet of ik ook zelf ga boarden.. beetje voorzichtig doen maar :( blegh saai!
Zorg goed voor jezelf! Je bent mijn superstoere broertje jeah! dikke knuf en kus en bel weer is joh, ik mis je ook, niet alleen papa en mama! :P kuskus!xxxxxxxx

Sterre de Jong said...

Wow Ilja!
Ik lees je verhalen en nog steeds en wat een inspiratie is het elke keer!
Dat je gewoon een krant hebt gehaald zeg!
Je bent een soort kruising tussen Ramon Stoppelenburg (van www.letmestayforaday.com) en Chris McCandless (google hem maar;)).

Nou wil ik helemaal zo'n reis in mijn eentje maken, alleen dan wel met een auto, want ik wil meer landen gaan zien :P

Keep on being adventurous!

Anonymous said...

Hallo Kanjer,

Buon giorno,tjonge, tjonge wat heb jij al veel beleefd,en geschreven.Ik zou er haast jaloers van worden.Wij hopen volgende week ook op vacantie te gaan met de caravan.
Geweldig dat intervieuw met die krant,en dat je zo geniet van de natuur.Oma en ikhebben genoten van al je berichten en foto's.We hadden aleerder geantwoord maar dat ging op een of andere wijze de mist in.Hopelijk lukt het deze keer maar onze kennis van computers is minimaal,dus vol verwachting probeer ik het te versturen.Veel plezier nog op je verdere reis en knufs van Oma en Opa.

Anonymous said...

Lieverd wat ben ik toch bere trots op je! Nu begrijp ik dat je je niet lekker voelde. Chocola als diner en ontbijt, en dan te weinig lunch! Denk aan de brandnetels he, daar kun je lang op lopen hoor. En noten, vijgen, dadels...kun je altijd van knabbelen en doen de truuk. Ik hoop dat Roos nog wat adresjes voor je vindt, maar het lijkt aardig goed te gaan.
Kus,
Mam